Thursday, July 10, 2008

voip phone review: ipDialog SipTone II Review

ipDialog SipTone II Review

The SipTone II was a relatively cheap phone for its features. The latest firmware gives it some more options and I would suggest you upgrade the firmware to get the most out of the phone.

Features




SIP (IETF RFC2361)

DHCP and Static IP

Supports DNS

DTMF InBand, Info or RCC2833

Supports a-law, u-law, 729 CODECs

PoE (Power over Ethernet) and DC wall adaptor included

2 10BaseT Ethernet ports so you can connect the Phone to the LAN and your PC to the phone. Personally I have it for occasional use e.g. laptop

Headset Jack. Mobile phone compatible. Use any mobile phone handsfree headset. MAke sure the headset deson't have an "Answer/Hangup" button


Handsfree Speakerphone

2-line 16-charecter LCD screen (not backlit)

Voice Mail indicator (MWI compatibe) and Voice Mail button

Two simultaneous call appearances (through call waiting)

Conference Calls (with or without server support)

Last number redial

Do Not Disturb key

Call Hold

Call Waiting

Call Forwarding

Call Transfer (blind, consultative, conferencing)

Caller ID and Call Waiting Caller ID

Call logs (outgoing, recieved, missed)

Speaker and ringer volume control

5 ring tones and 4 call waiting tones (through Bellcore parameter in Server's dialplan)

Web GUI

Configurable dial plans through web GUI, so you can avoid pressing "#" or "Dial" to dial the number

Auto Configuration via TFTP (for central management/deployment)



I bought these phones rather than the Budgetone 101/2 for the Headphone Jack,
dual lines, PoE and dual Ethernet ports. The Snoms looked better (more features) but were more expensive.

In use

I like the headset jack (I use it a lot), and the fact that I can setup my dialplan so I din't need to press "#" to call. The different ringtones are quite handy, while not over the top (mp3s are a bit too much for my liking).

The most annoying thing is that the LCD is fixed (so you cannot change the angle) and is not backlit. The phone is bit light-weight, and it can move around the desk quite a lot (I stick all my phones on the desks/tables with blu-tack anyway).

Conclusion

The audio quality is good, making a VoIP call indistinguishable from a PSTN call. It has nice proper plastic keys.

Generally speaking I am happy with these phones, although right now I have also been looking at the Grandstream GXP-2000. Please feel free to ask me if you have any specific questions.



Enjoy to talk with VoIP !

No comments: