Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Vonage, a VT2142 and a RTP300, My Experiences - A Detailed Review

The Vonage Linksys RTP300

I've had a lot of products from all the big people in networking, Linksys, Netgear, D-Link, Motorola

I started Vonage with a Motorola VT2142, Hated it, it's malfunctioning, someone had a PAP2 and I wanted four ethernet ports instead of one on the PAP and the 2142, after a lot, Vonage sent it out, arriving two days late

Right after I plugged it in, it sprang too life, immediately DHCP'ed Windows an IP, and registered my line withing five seconds. Usually the 2142 would register the line in about a min, then link up too Windows, which would then take a minute too acquire a usually static IP, due too the non-working port forwarding, I had too use DMZ for even simple stuff like VNC. I use U-VNC's PCHelpWare with some of my customers, and the Motorola Wouldn't forward the port I use for it, so I had too use DMZ on Static Routing...

Anyway... after picking up the phone and confirming it was there, I went into the browser and logged into the router control panel, and too my joy port forwarding worked, and so did my DDNS sub domain, so I could use it with VNC, instead of my IP for convenience and anonymity After setting some things up in the control panel. connecting some more computers, setting up OpenDNS through the routers (yay!) and then called a certain Canadian friend (eh?) who'd been complaining about bad quality audio on my very expensive phone, which was resolved by connecting too the landline which carries my DSL, he said it sounded as good or better than the landline! It was really expensive though too call him on that AT&T local landline... Glad Vonage has it free...

Been able too use PChelpware through DDNS, so I can distribute one copy of the server instead of distributing it individually too change the IP... Never had any problems with the device, excellent audio quality, great routing capabilities, very good built in firewall ,and the NAT can take a punch. not gotten anything blocked by the firewall on Windows, so I turned it off and left it up too the router.

I had a weird occurrence today when I lost my line for a moment, but I think that was Vonage, I restarted the router three times and it re-registered...

Overall, Great device, Always great routing from Linksys, Gonna get a WRT54GL on here and use DDWRT and make my apartment into a hot-spot :D Id recommend going off to a retailer or buying a RTP300 or a PAP2 off of Ebay, I know PAP2's still available at all the retailers you may be able too find a RTP300. Don't get a D-Link VWR, they're crap, and if you want too have a very custom LAN, or even port forwarding, Don't get a Motorola device.

Don't know why but International's been on the fritz lately for your's truly, been getting left high and dry, after two or three rings, think if you dial internationally, you ring about three times in the US to an international gateway trunk, then ring out too the country, but the ones near be are weird, gotten dumped into this strange noise trunk where I can faintly hear crosstalk from other lines, gotten bad rings, Need too fix up your international trunkage out of So. Cal.

No comments: