Monday, June 9, 2008

Motorola VoIP Adapter for Vonage (VT1005) Review

The Motorola VoIP adapter for Vonage (VT1005) has been heavily marketed by Vonage as an all-in-one package for routing and VoIP services. And to that end it has been, by most regards, rather successful, providing routing, some filtering, and VoIP translation. But like many things promising much, it has come up short; the Motorola should be coupled with a devoted router if you want to get rid of that annoying cutoff that so often happens at then ends of sentences when using the device.

From The Geek's review: I can happily report that aside from wondering what number I was calling from (since I was using a different, Vonage-assigned phone number), the sound quality was perfect. At no time did I notice a degradation in quality on either end. In addition, I decided to do some heavy surfing while on the phone to test the throughput. Again, no latency issues.

From Epinions' review: Vonage markets the Moto Vt1005 box as a. router b.quasi firewall c. Voip adaptor all rolled into one nice unassuming box. And from a marketing perspective it makes sense. However, it simply cannot do all those tasks well. For instance, if you are on the phone and downloading a large data file, you will get some "chop" on your voice.

No comments: